Saturday, July 18, 2015

Pointe

Title: Pointe
Author: Brandy Colbert
Standalone
Number of Pages: 333
Date Read: 7/18/15
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Contemporary

Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)

Theo is better now.

She's eating again, dating guys who are almost appropriate, and well on her way to becoming an elite ballet dancer. But when her oldest friend, Donovan, returns home after spending four long years with his kidnapper, Theo starts reliving memories about his abduction—and his abductor.

Donovan isn't talking about what happened, and even though Theo knows she didn't do anything wrong, telling the truth would put everything she's been living for at risk. But keeping quiet might be worse

My Review:

This book was ok. 

I found it to be a bit boring and dragging at times. The story is about Theo who is a ballerina. She has an eating disorder and she tends to choose the wrong guys to date. When she was 13 her best friend Donovan disappeared and that changed her whole world. However, in the present, Donovan was found and is now back with his mother, two houses down from Theo's house. The man who took Donovan has close ties with Theo as well. The whole book is her dealing with her feelings about the suspect, Donovan, her ballet, the guy she wants now and an important decision she has to make. 

I don't really think much of Theo. I can take her or leave her. I didn't like or dislike her as a character. I disliked some things that she did but as a character she was just eh. I think the book would of been better with a different main character. Theo has had a hard childhood in terms of getting involved with someone she shouldn't have. I felt bad for her and the situation she was in in her past. The worst part was, even in the present, she didn't think the situation she was in in the past was something wrong. She only realized it after she spoke to one of her friends about what happened and they told her that what happened was serious. I don't get how she didn't realize what happened to her was serious. Theo is also a very dedicated ballerina. She trains very hard and her dream is to dance in New York with a company. What I did find weird was that on her down time she smoked cigarettes, pot and drank frequently, which is damaging her body. She also has an eating disorder which the reader can see but Theo doesn't think her eating habits are a problem. Then there's the guy which I knew that situation would blow up and not in a good way. I didn't feel bad or sympathy for Theo for the mistakes she made in the present because she chose to do them while knowing they could end badly. She set herself up to be hurt. I do feel sympathy for the things that happened to her in the past. 

So the whole book is all about Donovan's return but we don't see or hear from Donovan until the very end of the book. WTF with that? He has one scene and he doesn't even say anything in it. I was annoyed at this because the synopsis made it seem like he was going to be the center of the story, not Theo's feelings about him and whatever. I was disappointed with that. 

Also the book had no real plot at all. It was just Theo's day to day life, her thoughts and feelings. To boot it was the same things over and over again. I dunno I just wasn't really into the book. The only reason I finished it was because I'm the last thing I have to do to finish a reading challenge was read a book that started with P. Otherwise I don't think I would of finished it. 

Rating: C


No comments:

Post a Comment