Saturday, October 11, 2014

Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Title: Stolen: A Letter to My Captor
Author: Lucy Christopher
Standalone
Number of Pages: 299
Date Read: 299
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Mystery, Drama, Suspense, Thriller, Crime


Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)

It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.

This is my story.

A letter from nowhere.
 

Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? 


The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.



My Review:

I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. 

Basically the book is about a guy named Ty who steals a girl, Gemma, from an airport and brings her to his house in the Australian desert. The rest of the book is about Gemma's feelings, her escape attempts and getting to know Ty. The book is written in letter format with Gemma writing the letter to Ty. 


Gemma was an ok character. She was tough and almost always fought Ty on things. In the beginning she hated him and wish his death countless times. She was always calculating how to escape and jumped at the chances when she could. It proved to be futile because she was in the desert in the middle of nowhere. Throughout the book, no matter what she felt, she always wanted to go back home. She would try to bargain with Ty or try to convince him to let her go but it never worked. One thing I found really weird and didn't like was that by the end of the book, Gemma was, for lack of a better term, in love with Ty. It blew my mind. Not because she loved him but because one minute she talks about how much she hated him and the next thing I read is that she likes him. That just irked me. It wasn't like she was getting to know him and fell for him. It was like he promised her something and the next thing you know she loves him. WHAT? It went from 0 to 100 in less than a sentence. It just wasn't believable to me. Going from plotting his death in one minute to being eager to see him in the next. I've read other kidnapped stories where the captive willingly got to know her captor to try to get him/her to let her/him go but they end up falling in love with them instead. This was not like those stories. 


Ty was ok. I did feel some sympathy for him because of his horrible life. But to me he was so weird. The way he painted himself and his surroundings made him seem very child like. It was disturbing how long he planned to take Gemma and how long he watched her before deciding to take her. To throw him a bone, I must say he really did love Gemma. He thought he was saving her from a horrible life. His intentions toward her were good but his actions were misplaced. He could of easily got to know her and she could of fallen in love with him if he did normal things like any guy who likes someone would. He would of had a better shot then than taking her against her will. He also showed his selflessness when he brought her back to civilization because of a situation that arose, even though he knew he would be caught. He did show his love for Gemma then. One other thing I was floored by was that Ty was hot! He wasn't some old, dirty fat slob. He was a tall 25 year old guy with blonde hair, blue eyes and a body to die for. He was gorgeous. Which I guess fits him~ gorgeous and messed up. I also did like that he liked nature and preferred being in the wide open desert instead of a polluted city. I guess I liked Ty more than I thought. 


One thing that I found weird was that Ty never forced himself on Gemma. Nothing ever sexual happened between them, not even kissing which was odd to me considering the reasons Ty gave for taking her and his feelings for her. I guess he wasn't that bad after all. 


I do applaud the beginning of the book, where the author described the drug effects Gemma was feeling when Ty drugged her in the airport. It was very scattered reading and I felt like I was just as high and confused as Gemma was. 


I would be interested in reading a sequel to the book thats about where Gemma and Ty are in the future after the events of this book. Does Gemma still love him? Does Ty still love her? That would be interesting reading. 

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment