Saturday, April 23, 2016

My Sister Rosa

Title: My Sister Rosa
Author: Justine Larbalestier
Series: Standalone
Number of Pages: 398
Date Read: 4/23/16 
Genre: Psychological Thriller, Contemporary, Psychology, Mystery 

Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com):

What if the most terrifying person you'd ever met was your ten-year old sister? A spine-chilling psychological thriller from one of Australia's finest YA authors. 

'I promise,' said Rosa. 'I won't kill and I won't make anyone else kill.'

I can't see the loophole. Since the guinea pig there's been nothing. Months now without Rosa killing as much as a mosquito.

As far as I know.


Che Taylor has four items on his list: 1. He wants to spar, not just train in the boxing gym. 2. He wants a girlfriend. 3. He wants to go home. 4. He wants to keep Rosa under control.

Che's little sister Rosa is smart, talented, pretty, and so good at deception that Che's convinced she must be a psychopath. She hasn't hurt anyone yet, but he's certain it's just a matter of time. And when their parents move them to New York City, Che longs to return to Sydney and his three best friends. But his first duty is to his sister Rosa, who is playing increasingly complex and disturbing games. Can he protect Rosa from the world - and the world from Rosa?

My Review: 

This book took me wayyy to long to finish. Parts of it was good but for the most part it was pretty dull.

The premise of this book is that the main character Che, moves with his family to NYC as part of a business deal for Che's parents. Che doesn't want to go. Every time Che is moved with his parents he has a list of 4 things to do. Fourth is to go home. Third is to be able to spar not just train in boxing. Second is to get a girlfriend. And the first most important thing is to keep his ten year old sister Rosa under control. Because Rosa is a psychopath. 

The premise of this book sounds so interesting that I immediately bought the book off book depository because this is an Australian book and it doesn't come out in the US until November. And I waited over a month to get it delivered because the shipping of the book took forever. Needless to say I should of waited for it to come out in the US. 

Now I'm not saying the book is bad or anything. It was ok. But it wasn't really what I was expecting and I wasn't expecting it to be so boring. The book is basically Che's narration of his daily life in NYC, which is boring. The most interesting parts were about Rosa and the things she does. Che goes on and on about boxing and he spends the majority of time at the gym. He also talks so much about the girl he likes, Sojourner and sex. I don't care about Che masturbating or his wet dreams (which is said in the book...gross) or his gushing over this girl. I got this book because I wanted to read about his psycho sister not hear his dialogue of his life. I mean Che's not a bad character but he's just so boring. I did feel bad for him because he has to deal with his sister terrorizing him but really I wanted to know more about his being terrorized than about his girl crush. Meh.

Rosa is pure evil. She has no empathy and is able to pretend to be a normal girl. She gave me the creeps. I hated her but I was interested in what she said and what she did. It was interesting seeing how she manipulated the people around her. But she wasn't as evil or bad as the synopsis and Che made her out to be. Most of the scenes with Rosa was her talking to Che about her lack of feelings, how smart she was and how she manipulated others. It was like the book told you how bad Rosa was instead of showing it. The synopsis says Rose is "playing increasingly complex and disturbing games" but I didn't really see this in the book. There are two instances when terrible things happen but the reader is left guessing if Rosa was really behind those incidents. I thought Rosa was going to be killing animals or trying to kill people or something drastic like that because that's what the book leads to you believe and I wanted it to be delivered. But it wasn't and I was disappointed. 


Rating:B

No comments:

Post a Comment