Sunday, January 31, 2016

Falling Kingdoms

Title: Falling Kingdoms
Author: Morgan Rhodes
Series: Falling Kingdoms, Book 1
Number of Pages: 412 
Date Read: 1/31/16 
Genre: Fantasy, Magic 

Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com):

In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.


Princess: Raised in pampered luxury, Cleo must now embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of magic long thought extinct.

Rebel: Jonas, enraged at injustice, lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished. To his shock, he finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Sorceress: Lucia, adopted at birth into the royal family, discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Heir: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, firstborn son Magnus begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword....

My Review: 
So I finally read this book. For me it was ok. It wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. 

Basically there are three countries in the land of Mytica: Limeros which is a cold, icy and snowy kingdom ruled by King Gaius or "The Blood King". The next country is Paelsia which has been in steady decline for a better part of a thousand years with bleak surroundings. Paelsia is ruled by a cheiftan. Finally there is Auranos which is a warm, sunny and happy kingdom ruled by King Corvin. Basically Auranos is the most prosperous Kingdom in Mytica which causes its neighbors Limeros and Paelsia to despise them. Basically this book all about an impending war with the main characters smack in the middle; some want to be there and some don't. 

There are four main characters and each chapter is told in revolving povs. 

Princess Cleo is princess to Auranos. I didn't really like her. I felt like she was so spoiled and wanted things her way. She wanted what she wanted at the very moment she wanted it. She constantly made stupid decisions that not only put herself in danger but her friends and her kingdom. I will say that she is very loyal to the people she cares about and she is brave when she's making her bad decisions. When she loves someone she really loves them and she is compassionate. I also do feel sorry for her throughout the events of the book but I dunno something just rubbed me the wrong way about her. I just didn't like her from the start. 

Jonas is a peasant boy from Paelsia and something that happens with his family sparks the unrest to rebellion in Paelsia towards Auranos. Jonas was ok. There really wasn't much from his pov in this book. I did feel bad for him. Jonas is full of hate for any royals especially the Auranian royals as well as vengeance. He puts himself in a important position for helping the rebellion and war along. 

Prince Magnus is the prince of Limeros. I loved him. He was very dark and brooding. His father the king was a ruthless leader and not very fatherly towards Magnus. I did feel bad for his because for most of the book nothing he did was good enough for his father and it seem like his father really didn't like him. I did like how protective he was of his sister Lucia even though there was a less than appropriate reason for it. She was the only one who loved him and paid any attention to him really. He would do anything for her. I just really liked him. 

Then there is princess Lucia of Limeros who is Magnus' "sister". I also really liked her and from other review I read I seem to be in the minority on this one. It seems no one really likes Lucia. Oh well. I loved her thirst for knowledge and how she read all the time. She is very trusting and naive when it comes to most things especially about the attention her father shows later on in the book. Even so Lucia is very strong and tries to keep her secret hidden from everyone: She's a sorceress. This is not a spoiler since its on the back of the book with her name under sorceress. She doesn't know what she, she only knows that some magic has begun to develop within her. She practices by herself trying to hone her skills. She is also such a sweet person and she truly cares for Magnus. She comforts him and always has his back. She's awesome.

There was some action in the book but not as much as I would have liked. There is also something about watchers and a sanctuary and apparently Lucia is of great importance to them. I know I'm leaving a lot out but I don't want to give any spoilers away. 

While I didn't love this book I am intrigued enough to continue on with the series. 


Rating: B

1 comment:

  1. Well, after reading your review I'm not quite sure if I do really want to read this book. Though I'll share with some of my co-workers at http://essay-writer.club/ as they're a great fans of magic. Hope they'll like it.

    ReplyDelete