Monday, January 18, 2016

Carry On

Title: Carry On
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Series: Standalone
Number of Pages: 517 
Date Read: 1/18/16
Genre: Fantasy, Magic, Romance- Glbt 

Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com):

 Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters.
 


My Review: 
This book was awesome. 

This book is Rainbow Rowell's version of the Simon Snow books she created in her book "Fangirl". 

This book takes place during Simon's last year at the magical school of Watford where he is learning to be a magician. The only problem is that Simon suckas a magic and spells. He has all this magic inside him and when he gets angry or something it explodes out of him. He can't really control it. At this point in the story of Simon Snow he is still trying to find the bad guy who is called the insidious Humdrum. The Humdrum takes/sucks the magic out of a place, leaving magicless pockets where magician's magic doesn't work. And the Humdrum is after Simon. The Mage is the headmaster of the Watford school and tries to protect Simon. There are more things about the Mage and his politics in the book. At the start of the book, Simon goes back to Watford after summer break and Baz, his roommate, doesn't come back for awhile. 

The book is told in multiple point of views but the main one is of course, Simon's and the second most used pov is Baz's. 

I really liked Simon. I thought he was great. He was very brave and he did what he had to do when he was fighting all the things the Humdrum sent his way. Simon is very different from Harry Potter. Simon really sucks at magic and spells. He has all this power that builds inside him but he can't use it. He can only use it when he "goes off" which I guess is when his magic goes berserk. So instead of magic, Simon uses his strength and his sword of mages to fight beasts. He is by no means a genius but he tries his best at the mystery that's in his book. He is very loyal to people he cares about especially the mage. Simon is also slightly obsessed with Baz and always thinks Baz is plotting against him. I also love the fact that Simon is always hungry and always wants to eat. He is very brave and does what he has to do to save the world of mages. 

I loved loved loved Baz. He was so badass. I love that he's a vampire and a mage and I love how he doesn't confirm everyone's suspicions about him. He doesn't deny it but he doesn't say yes either. Baz is very elegant, he wears expensive clothes and everything about him is so formal. He is sarcastic and doesn't want to get too close to Simon. He and Simon are always fighting, arguing and insulting each other at least in the beginning of the book. I just loved him. 

I loved Penny, who is Simon's best friend. She is very smart and she helps Simon and Baz with the mystery of the book. Baz, while he doesn't get along with Penny, actually wants her help with the mystery because she is so smart. She genuinely cares about Simon and is really a great friend to him. She has been with him through all of their years at Watford. She's helped Simon in fights, gone on his "adventures" with him and always had his back. She is also superb at magic and helped Simon that way. 

I really didn't like Agatha. She was a b*tch and a coward. She broke up with Simon, had a crush on Baz but when she finds out Simon and Penny are helping Baz with something, she's all like "why, Baz is evil, he's a vampire, he's bad." WHen reading that I was like b*tch you wanted to kiss Baz in the beginning of the book, did you forget that? Agatha really doesn't do anything but complain and when she has a chance to help, she turns into a coward and runs away. I really didn't care what happens to her at all. 

There are other characters too. I though the mage was a bit creepy. I began to get suspicious of him as I was reading the book. He just rubbed me the wrong way. I was expecting a Dumbledore type of character but he is nothing like that. And I loved Ebb the goatherder. She was such a sweet person and so friendly to Simon. She was also extremely powerful but all she wanted was to stay out of politics and take care of her goats. She was a good person. 

I loved loved loved the romance in this book between Simon and Baz. I have read a few books with two girls in a relationship but never two boys. I loved every minute of their romance once they decided to stop fighting with each other. A lot of things build up between them and then finally they kiss for the first time. And let me tell you I was like "YESSSSSSSS!". You have to wait a long while for this moment and it is soo satisfying when it happens. They are so sweet together. Baz is able to let his guard down and we get to see a softer, loving side of him when he's with Simon. And Simon has someone he wants to hold onto and fight for. And that whole "I want to be your boyfriend" speech Simon gave- Loved IT! I think Simon and Baz are perfect for each other and they truly care about each other. I loved their kissing scenes and lovey dovey scenes. It's clear that they love each other and compliment each other; Baz is still his badass self and Simon is still his heroic self. Well done Rainbow Rowell!

I also enjoyed the world of mages that Rainbow Rowell built. I loved the different kinds of beings and I loved the way the magicians casted spells. They just used regular phrases like "Clean as a whistle" to clean up something or someone. My personal favorite was the one that Penny used to make something invisible; it was "These aren't the droids you're looking for". Love the star wars reference!

I am so happy I read this book. It really was worth it and its on my favorites book list. 

Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment