Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Rose Society

Title: The Rose Society
Author: Marie Lu
Series: The Young Elites, Book 2
Number of Pages: 395 
Date Read: 12/31/15 
Genre: Fantasy, Magic, Science Fiction 

Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com):

 Once upon a time, a girl had a father, a prince, a society of friends. Then they betrayed her, and she destroyed them all.

Adelina Amouteru’s heart has suffered at the hands of both family and friends, turning her down the bitter path of revenge. Now known and feared as the White Wolf, she flees Kenettra with her sister to find other Young Elites in the hopes of building her own army of allies. Her goal: to strike down the Inquisition Axis, the white-cloaked soldiers who nearly killed her.

But Adelina is no heroine. Her powers, fed only by fear and hate, have started to grow beyond her control. She does not trust her newfound Elite friends. Teren Santoro, leader of the Inquisition, wants her dead. And her former friends, Raffaele and the Dagger Society, want to stop her thirst for vengeance. Adelina struggles to cling to the good within her. But how can someone be good when her very existence depends on darkness?

My Review: 

OMG I loved this book. It was an awesome sequel to the Young Elites and a great second book in a series. It was even better than the Young Elites. 

This book starts off a few weeks after the events in the Young Elites. Adelina is now traveling to another island with her sister Violetta, to find an Elite named Magiano. Adelina now wants to form her own elite society with herself as their leader. So she goes in search of other elites. Meanwhile the rest of the Dagger society goes to the country of Beldain for refuge. The person we met in the epilogue of the Young Elites, Maeve, is now Queen of Beldain and this country is where Lucent is from. Together the daggers and Maeve come up with a plan to take over Kenettra. That's basically the premise of the book. Adelina is gathering elites to her cause to take revenge on the inquisition and to take the throne for herself. She must fight the not only the inquisition but the daggers and their allies as well. In this book the main pov is Adelina's but we also get a few chapters in Teren's POV, Raffaele's POV and Maeve's POV.

I absolutely love the way the Adelina's character is heading. She is so badass! She is becoming a villain while trying to hold on the the good inside her. During the book the reader can see how she keeps giving in to her dark side over and over again. In her defense I don't really blame her. She had such a shitty life so far and all that anger has built up. Its mostly when she uses her powers that she feeds her dark side. She constantly has these whispers in her ear from her powers telling her to give into the bad and sometimes she can't help but listen. Also in addition to getting her powers stronger, Adelina's powers being going out of her control to the point where she makes illusions for herself with out even meaning to and she then has a full on freak out episode because she want control her power and realize its all an illusion. So that gets added on to everything else she has to deal with. I'm telling you this girl cannot catch a break. I am very excited to see how Adelina's character develops in the next book. I wonder this will be when she gives herself over to the darkness completely. I love her character and I love how shes written. I haven't read a book with a character like her where everyone expects the main character to be the heroine. In this book the heroine begins turning into the villain. 

I also really enjoyed reading about Adelina's sister, Violetta. Violetta is the one constant in Adelina's life and one of the only ones that can calm her when her powers began to take over or when she starts giving in to the darkness. Violetta has been practicing her powers as well and has gotten stronger with it. She stands with her sister and fights alongside her doing what she can. I enjoyed reading how the relationship between them grew with both of them comforting and protecting one another. 

A new elite is introduced in this book and he is Magiano. I loved him. He is very sarcastic and is only with Adelina for the money....at least in the beginning. His power is awesome as well. He is known as the best thief around and Adelina has to prove to him that she is worth following. After awhile, you can begin to tell that he has feelings for Adelina and she reciprocates those feelings but she refuses to acknowledge them. Magiano genuinely cares for her and protects her when they have to fight. He is the other person who brings calm to Adelina. I vote for them to be together. I totally ship it. 

As for the rest of the daggers I am against them and on Adelina's side. I'm starting not to like Raffaele that much anymore. He seems like a nice guy but he can be very cold and calculating. He can easily betray someone. I never really liked Lucent, Michal is ok and the only one I can say I liked is Gemma. I really didn't like Maeve either. She figured she could just come over and take over Kenettra and use the daggers as she wanted. I loved Enzo until her turned on Adelina. Now he's on my shit list. Teren is still a complete nutjob and goes even crazier than he already is. So I really don't care if they die. 

The battles between the elites is awesome. I loved seeing them use their powers in action. I also loved seeing the new ways that Adelina uses her powers also and the things she can conjure. 
This is great book and I can't wait for the next one to come! 


Rating:A

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I still need to read the first one in this series. I keep hearing great things about it. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is really good. I highly recommend it. Happy New year to you too!

      Delete