Sunday, November 22, 2015

Six of Crows

Title: Six of Crows
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: Six of Crows, Book 1
Number of Pages: 462 
Date Read: 11/22/15 
Genre: Fantasy, Magic 


Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com):

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums. 

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes. 

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.


My Review: 

This book was awesome. I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would but it was still great. I anticipated giving it a 5 out of 5 stars but I ended up giving it a 4 which is still not bad at all. 

In simple terms this book is about a team of 6 "misfits" who are hired to pull off an impossible heist. But it was way more complicated than that. While reading this book I was reminded a lot of the movie Ocean's 11. One of the main character's, Kaz, reminded me a lot of George Clooney's character-he was a master thief and the brains of the heist. 

This book is set in the grisha world mainly in the city of Ketterdam on the island of Kerch and the country of Fjerda. In Ketterdam there are the elite and rich areas and then there's the Barrel, the area for thieves, thugs and gangs. And of course this is where our 6 team members come from. I believe this book is set after the events that occurred the the grisha trilogy. There are still Grisha all over and they play a part in the story but they are not as prominent or the focus of the story as they were in the Grisha trilogy. The main gang in the story is the Dregs from where 4 out of the 6 heist members are from. One thing I liked about the book is the vivid descriptions of the places. The reader really gets a sense of the Barrel, with it's dark alleyways, gambling houses, "pleasure" house and so on. You get a feel of how cold everything is in Fjerda and you can envision the Ice Court with its different sectors and rings and how impenetrable it seems. I really liked that I was able to see everything in my head from the clear and detailed descriptions. 

The characters were awesome as well. The book is told in the point of views of five of the six heist members. They are: Kaz, Inej, Nina, Jesper and Matthias. For some reason the sixth member, Wylan's pov was not included in this book but I'm hoping it will be in the next book. I loved how all the characters had different backgrounds, different experiences and different loyalties but they still came together to do the job. Many of the characters are left scarred by their past and the reader wonders what happened to them to make them the way they are. As the book goes on, slowly each member of the team's past (except for Wylan) is revealed to the reader. Their pasts are not revealed all at once but slowly throughout the book to where the heist is not the only thing you want to know about. Kaz will reveal a bit of his past in once chapter but then won't talk about it for the next few chapters. I was gripped in the character's stories and I continued to read to find out more. By the time all their pasts are revealed, the heist begins and that is another part of the story that drew me in. I also liked the hint of romance between the characters (I won't say who) and I loved the fact that it was not the focus of the story and that it did not deter the characters from the heist. 

Kaz is one of the main characters. He is the leader of the Dregs and he is one tough guy. He walks with a limp and a cane but that does not make him less dangerous in the least. He can still kick ass and kill anyone with or without the cane. Kaz is all about money and making things work to his advantage. He is super intelligent and is always three steps ahead of everyone. He is the brains and planner of this heist. He has two weaknesses: one is his absolute revulsion of skin on skin contact with another person. The other...I'm not gonna say. Kaz is not afraid of anyone and is not afraid to kill anyone or put their lives in danger. If you agree to the job, Kaz expects you to do it no matter what. Sometimes his stoicism was annoying but all in all I really liked him. 

Inej is part of the Dregs and is called the Wraith by Kaz. She is very quiet and quick on her feet and she spies on people for the Dregs and Kaz. She used to be an acrobat in her old life and she uses those skills to climb the walls and roofs of the barrel to gather information and secrets. She is good at sneaking up on people and no one ever knows she's there until she wants them to. Inej also prefers to use knives to kill. Inej is not like Kaz in that she is not ruthless like he is. She still prays to her gods and tries to see the best in things. She wants to pay her debt to the Dregs so that she can go home. She dislikes killing but she does it to stay alive. She is also Kaz's go to Dreg when he needs something. She really is a good person at heart and very sweet. I wasn't sure I liked her in the beginning but I ended up loving her. 

Nina is a grish Heartrender. That means that she can control the body of humans and can kill them in an instant. Nina is part of the Dregs and is in Katterdam at all because of Matthias. I loved Nina. She was such a feisty character. She had major attitude and sass. She spoke her mind and told anyone off if she wanted to. Nina is the member of the heist that is able to get information out of people. She is a total actress and can play to any act that she needs to to get a person to talk. I loved her conversations and arguments with Matthias. There is no secret that Matthias and Nina like/love each other and they have a past together that gets revealed later on. Their love tension is hilarious especially with Nina always making fun of Matthias. She was really one of the fun characters.

Matthias is a Fjerdian and he can be seen as the muscle of the team. He has constant battles with himself as to whether he loves or hates Nina. He wants to kiss and kill her all at the same time. Mattias is very loyal to his country and his beliefs. You can kind of call him a fanatic when it comes to them. He also also the foreigner of the group and it is hilarious when he doesn't understand the slang the other member use. I also really like him alot. 

Jesper is one of the higher ranking Dregs. He is know for his two zemini guns and his sharp shooting. He is also known for his addiction to cards and his money debts. We don't find out too much about his past but we get to know a lot about his present and his troubles. Jesper also has secrets that are later revealed. He is always very ansty and has to constantly be moving. He is always making fun of Wylan and he always lightens the mood with jokes. I liked Jesper well enough but I would of liked to see more of his past.

Wyaln is the last team member and the one whose pov is not in the book. Based on the ending I could see why he wasn't included in this book. But anywho, Wylan is the new to the Barrel and I'm not really sure that he is part of the Dregs. He may do some jobs with them but I'm not sure if he's an actual member. He does demo work which is bomb making and setting them off. He is ok at his job and half the time he isn't even sure his bombs will work. It's clear that he is not like the other thieves and that he is new to that kind of life. He always tells Kaz and Jesper that he's not one of them. From some scenes it's clear that he's not cut out to live Kaz or Jesper's life, at least not yet. While he does set off bombs he is not ok with killing people....yet. He's really a sweet guy and in way over his head. He's another one I like well enough and I want to see more of him in the next book. 

This book was action packed and included a great cast of characters. The only thing was that it took me awhile to get into it. I started the book and read a few chapters then I put it down for a week and didn't really want to pick it up again. I finally forced myself to and I am glad I did. After I actually got into the book, I flew through it and ended up really liking it. I recommend this book to anyone one who likes a good heist story. Oh and you do not have to read the grisha trilogy to read this book. This one stands by itself. 



Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment