Friday, July 3, 2015

A Season of Eden

Title: A Season of Eden
Author: Jennifer Laurens
Standalone
Number of Pages: 234
Date Read: 7/3/15
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Contemporary, Romance

Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)
He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said.

My Review:


This book was ok.

The premise of the book is that Eden, a 18 year old high school student, has a crush on her music teacher, Mr. James Christian. Mr. Christian feels the same and tries his best to keep away from her but that of course doesn't work. What ensues is secret meetings and difficult situations they have to face.

First off I really didn't like Eden. She just rubbed me the wrong way. She was a typical high school queen bee and a stereotypical rich kid who got whatever she wanted. When she first saw Mr. Christian, she knew she wanted him and went after him even though he was her teacher and off limits. Also she was very stalkerish. She followed him to his house to see where he lived and then she took her best friend with her to do a drive by his house so she can get a better look at it. When he told her what church he went to she showed up there the same day. She would come to class very early to talk to him. She got jealous when the other girls in her class looked at her and all she had to do was give them "a pointed look" and they did what she wanted. She was basically a bully. I can't stand girls like that so to read about one irked me. I had no sympathy for her in regards to her behavior at school and with what happens with Mr. Christian. She did change a bit as the story went on. She began to like music, especially classical like Mr. Christian did; she was trying to grow up and stay away from the petty-niss of high school drama and she was being nicer to people. She finally grew a conscience and felt like what she was doing was wrong but she still did it anyway. Even so, she still saw herself as above everyone and as a celebrity or something. This can be seen in the last chapter or so where she is signing year books and she makes comments to herself like "Leesa stood behind them like she was at an author signing" and (when giving Leesa her book back) "She looked like I'd just handed her a million dollars." Please shoot me now...barf...what a stuck up ....

Anyway I liked Mr. Christian. He was a really nice guy and has a real passion for music. He was very involved with his church as well. His only flaw was liking Eden in my opinion. He could of liked another student but he had to choose the self absorbed queen bee. Whatever.

In the book we also saw Eden's home life which wasn't so great but still didn't give her an excuse for acting the way she did. She lived in what I guess is a mansion and she had a shiny BMW. Her dad was a lawyer so he was loaded. But she was also lonely. When she got home her dad was never around because he was working. When he got off of work he spent time with Eden's stepmother, never really doing anything for Eden. It was like he basically cut her out of his life after Eden's mom died. Her only company was the cook Camilla and her beautiful basset hound William. I have to say I loved that dog. He didn't really do anything but cuddle and follow Eden around but I love animals, so he was a favorite character.

As for the romance....it was ehhh. I wanted it more steamy. Nothing happened for awhile and then all they did was kiss before it was broken off. If I want to read about a forbidden or taboo relationship I want it to be hot and steamy....which this wasn't. Needless to say I was disappointed.

The ending was an open ending which the reader can basically choose what happens depending on how they found the relationship between Mr.Christian and Eden. Either they get back together or they don't. It depends on the reader. I'm not really a fan of that kind of thing but it did work for this book.

So basically this book was an ok read but I've read better book with this kind of relationship in it.



Rating: C

No comments:

Post a Comment