Wednesday, January 14, 2015

H2O

Title: H2O
Author: Virginia Bergin
Series: The Rain, Book 1
Number of Pages: 327
Date Read: 1/13/15
Genre: Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic, Apocalyptic, Survival


Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)

It's in the rain...and just one drop will kill you.

They don't believe it at first. Crowded in Zach's kitchen, Ruby and the rest of the partygoers laugh at Zach's parents' frenzied push to get them all inside as it starts to drizzle. But then the radio comes on with the warning, "It's in the rain! It's fatal, it's contagious, and there's no cure."

Two weeks later, Ruby is alone. Anyone who's been touched by rain or washed their hands with tap water is dead. The only drinkable water is quickly running out. Ruby's only chance for survival is a treacherous hike across the country to find her father-if he's even still alive.


My Review:

This book was alright. One of the main reasons I thought it was ok was because I wasn't really feeling the main character Ruby. 

In this book the world ends because the rain is poisonous. I think this is a great idea for a book because it makes you realize how everything falls apart in a matter of days when you can't use water. No showers, no brushing your teeth, no using the bathroom, no taking off your makeup, no water to drink, No water to COOK, no water to make things to drink. There is water in Literally EVERYTHING and that makes everything dangerous. Puddles on the street, damp grass, rain droplets that aren't dried when you get out of the car, animals who drink the water then want to lick you (like dogs). Also if you have rain gear and get caught outside or get some droplets on you, you have to be extremely careful when taking the gear off. Its really makes you realize how much we take water for granted. 


Through many situations that occur Ruby ends up alone for the first part of the book and the main part of the book is her getting to London to find her dad. Ruby is ok. She's snarky, sarcastic and somethings she says are funny. She is very determined to the point of putting people in danger. She wants to get to London no matter what and when she finally meets some people she calls all the shots. Shes very bossy, gets angry easily and very moody. I could of dealt with all that BUT the point in which I didn't like her anymore was when she meets up with Darius. I can't stand the way she treats him. When she first meets up with him she calls him a bespectacled nobody nerdy freckly freak. I mean wtf is her issue? She's all alone and this is the first thing she thinks when she finally sees someone. AND he gives her bottled water to drink and food and she continues to be a B**** to him. She demands food from her and more water. Like shes some freaking princess. If I were him I'd throw contaminated water in her face and walk away. Yes I am crazy. I'd leave her by herself to fend for herself. He, however, decides to go with her to London and the whole time they are together she is a mega b**** to him, gets mad at him for no reason, yells and bosses him around. Another thing that pisses me off about her is she is so materialistic. Hello Its the apocalypse with deadly rain and all she can think about is going to get her cell phone from her friends house where she left it when THERE IS NO PHONE OR INTERNET CONNECTION. WTF does she want the phone for? Instead of getting practical clothes for herself she raids boutiques and gets sequins dresses and high heels. Really? I'm not a fan of her and don't really care about her situation. 


I really liked Darius though. He was very smart and kind even though Ruby treated him like dirt. He was very selfless and took care of a little girl who attached herself to him. She is a young girl who found him and who doesn't speak. He took her in and is caring for her in this harsh world. He gets food and water/drink for her. She listens to him when he tells her to do something and he protects her. He thinks about her survival and how to keep her alive. He may be a nerd but he really is a nice guy. Who doesn't deserve how he is treated. 


There is one scene that made me cry and was very emotional. It was when Ruby had to leave one of the neighborhood dogs she rescued, Whitby (a golden retriever), behind and it broke my heart. He was drinking contaminated water and it was dangerous for Ruby, Darius and the girl to have him around. They locked him out of the car and he thought they were playing so he ran around to the other side waiting for them to open the door. When they didn't and began to drive away he began whimpering and running after the car barking. Ruby was crying because she loved Whitby so she gained points with me for that. She said that she keep looking in the rear view mirror until Whitby was a speck on the road howling. That scene really broke my heart and I cried. Whitby was a loveable, cuddly, happy and playful dog. He is the pet everyone would want. I have a dog and I couldn't leave him behind. I wouldn't. It was so sad and I hated that scene. It chokes me up to even think about it. 


This is the first book in the series and while I don't really like Ruby, I want to read the next book because the concept is cool and I wanna find out what happens next.



Rating:
B+  

No comments:

Post a Comment