Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Iron Daughter

Title: The Iron Daughter
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series:  The Iron Fey, Book 2
Number of Pages: 359
Date Read: 12/3/14
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy, Fairies


Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)


Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron feyironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.


My Review:

This is the second book in Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series and I loved it!

This book picks up from where the last one left off. Meghan is now in the winter court brought there by the winter prince she loves, Ash, as per their deal in the first book. Meghan is left alone in the place with Ash no where to be found. She doesn't know anybody there and is afraid of Ash's mother, Queen Mab. When Ash comes back he is cold to Meghan and acts like he doesn't have feelings for her which hurt her. This story is mainly about a scepter called the scepter of seasons. Each year the scepter is traded twice, when spring arrives and when winter arrives. So now winter has come and the Summer court is bringing the scepter back to the winter court. The scepter gets stolen by the Iron fey but Queen Mab thinks King Oberon of the summer court stole it so it leads to a coming war between winter and summer. No one believes Meghan that the Iron fey took the scepter so she and Ash decided to find it. Ash betrays his court by freeing Meghan and going with her to find the scepter. Of course nothing is ever easy and the whole book deals with getting the scepter back.

I still like Meghan a lot although she did annoy me in this book. I still like the way she is feisty and is always trying to do the right thing. She decides to go after the scepter even though it really doesn't affect her about who has the scepter. But she loves the fey world and is willing to risk her life to save it. I like that quality in her. Brave, loving and daring. Now the part that annoyed me in the book was her constant crying and depressing thoughts about Ash. Like I said before Ash is trying to push her away because he knows that there is no way they can be together because winter and summer can't be together or they get banished to the mortal realm- just for loving someone. So Ash is kind of an ass to her. BUT Meghan is constantly thinking about him and is constantly begging him to reconsider his decision to "break up" that I just wanna shake her and say "get a grip". I don't know, I guess that because I'm older I just can't see begging someone to be with me as the right thing to do. You don't wanna be with me and give up the f*** you. I know I wouldn't beg someone for anything but I digress. Those are the qualities of Meghan I could of done without in this book. Being sad and depressed ok but having a total meltdown and begging-no. 


I still like Ash even though he was an ass in this book. I love the warrior he is, how he fights and how loyal he is to people and his court. Although sometimes he's too loyal. The reader can obviously see how in love he is with Meghan but how he tries to shut those feelings out. He goes out of his way to feel nothing and to distance himself from her, sometimes to his detriment. I wanted to shake him too and say "cut the crap and just go be with her." Its obvious that he is miserable without her.

I was happy to see Puck return. He is the comedic character of the story. He his funny quips, plays pranks and is always happy to get into a fight. However in this book we see a different Puck, one who is serious and extremely protective of Meghan. He finally tells Meghan how he feels about her and here he shows his softer more vulnerable side to her. He cares deeply for Meghan and wants her to be happy. 


I was very happy that Grimalkin came back. I love that lazy cat. Its hilarious how he goes to help the group and then disappears on them just to show up at the right time. And his acts gets them everything. There will be fighting going on and someone notices that Grim is missing. I love how all he does is groom himself and just shoots out sarcasm and snobbery with his words. He is hilarious. 


I liked how the realms of the book were described and how the attributes of each monarch influence their realm. For example, when Mab gets angry the temperature drops to below freezing. The winter realm is described with lots of snow, coldness and living ice statues among other things. I also like how the fey's powers are described and how they use them. 


I really enjoyed this book and I'm ready to read the next one. 

Rating:

A+  

No comments:

Post a Comment