Friday, August 29, 2014

Insanity by Susan Vaught

Title: Insanity
Author: Susan Vaught
Standalone
Number of Pages: 384
Date Read: 8/28/14
Genre: Ghosts, Paranormal, Fantasy



Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)

Never, Kentucky is not your average scenic small town. It is a crossways, a place where the dead and the living can find no peace. Not that Forest, an 18-year-old foster kid who works the graveyard shift at Lincoln Hospital, knew this when she applied for the job. Lincoln is a huge state mental institution, a good place for Forest to make some money to pay for college. But along with hundreds of very unstable patients, it also has underground tunnels, bell towers that ring unexpectedly, and a closet that holds more than just donated clothing....When the dead husband of one of Forest's patients makes an appearance late one night, seemingly accompanied by an agent of the Devil, Forest loses all sense of reality and all sense of time. Terrified, she knows she has a part to play, and when she does so, she finds a heritage that she never expected. 

My Review:

Ok I'm not sure about how I feel about this book. The concept was a good idea and I liked some of the characters alot but the book was just missing something. 

The author switched the POV a lot in the book without any warning. The character she starts out with is Levi in his POV for one chapter, which I guess you can consider the prologue. The comes Forest's POV and Levi is in the story there as well. So I'm having a great time reading the book and we come to a pivotal part in the story, in my opinion at least, and all of a sudden the next chapter is in the POV of a guy named Darius. The POV switch came out of no where and confused the heck out of me. I got this book from Netgalley and I thought they messed it up somehow by mixing it with another book and I was gonna complain and stop reading it. Then I looked on Goodreads reviews and saw that the POV change was part of the book. I didn't like that at all. After Darius' POV goes on for a few chapters, it switches again to his girlfriend Trina's POV. Then it switches for the last time to Levi's POV. And Levi and Forest are in everyone's POVs so they are the main characters and get intertwined with everyone. I just didn't like all the switching. I liked Forest's POV the best and the whole story could have been told in just her POV and it would of happened the exact same way. I also liked Levi's POV so if the author wanted to switch POV's around she should of stuck to Forest's and Levi's only, in my opinion. 


The story is basically about Forest working in Lincoln Psychiatric Hospital and there she finds that she has special powers that allow her to help souls cross to the otherside and that time has no meaning for her anymore. She also has other abilities. She meets Levi who helps her figure out what she is. When she finally agrees to have Levi's grandmother Imogene, help and teacher her the POV switches to Darius' pov where he has to fight something supernatural with Levi and Forest. This is the next time we see Forest and by this time she has the hang of her abilities. Basically the whole book is fighting supernatural spirits after supernatural spirits. Once they defeated one thing, another thing pops up that they have to fight. It kinda reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes. Even episode Buffy has to fight and kill some demon. And Forest's gang is like Buffy's. The hospital in the book was like Sunnydale, on some kind of hellmouth that allows ghosts and spirits to come back from the other side. It was too much fighting for me. Thats why I would of rather the book be in Forest's POV. I wanted to see her learn about her powers and learn to use them by helping Levi, Darius and Trina. But it wasn't to be so. Don't get me wrong the bad guys were interesting and the fight sequences were awesome but there was too much of it for me. And the kicker is that I still don't KNOW what Forest, Imogene or Levi are. I never saw a name to label what kind of supernatural they were.

On to characters. I really really like Forest. She was awesome. She actually does remind me of Buffy in her spunkiness and ability to fight. She cares about her friends and puts herself at risk to keep them from harm. She even cares for the souls and spirits that she helps, IF they are not evil. If they are evil she will do everything in her power to stop them. And man is she powerful. More so than Levi and Imogene. She is very brave and she has a way with Levi, to help him keep his cool. She's funny and sweet. 


I loved Levi. He was super sexy and hot! I think I like him so much because he reminded me of my book b.f. Varen Nethers from 
Nevermore. He was very sweet to Forest. Othertimes he can be scary and a bad ass but he changed his ways for her. At times he can loose his temper. He is also able to cross souls over to the other side but his way is more scary. He calls his hell dogs and hell birds to help him "hunt" the soul/ghost/spirit down. But like I said he stopped doing that for Forest. To her he's thoughtful and he listens to her but he is distrustful of other people and kind of rude/cold when he doesn't know them, like he was with Darius and Trina. He is described as being imposing and scary, and because of his pale skin he is always compared to a vampire. Ha, I guess that's my kinda guy. Oh and I love his tattoos under his eye.

I also love Imogene, Levi's grandmother. She was spunky and wise. She talked with a cute granny southern accent. But let me tell you, Granny has some power. Things in the hospital are afraid of her. 


The rest of the character were ok. Darius was an ok guy and was willing to help Forest and Levi after dealing with his "monster". He also has strange abilities similar to Forest's in terms of seeing things. I didn't really care for Trina. She was ok but I truly felt like she had no place really in the book aside from being Darius' girlfriend and what people called a "witch". She was a bad one at that. Not bad as in evil but bad as in most of her spells backfired.

I liked the creepy descriptions of the hospital and the things that came back from the other side. Everything was described in detail and I could imagine everything in my mind as I read. 


I was unsatisfied with the romance in the book. It was obvious that Forest and Levi loved each other but she couldn't touch him without causing him pain. There is a reason why and that reason can be fixed but until then end of the book the reason why was never fixed. I could tell that they were in love by the other character's description of them when they were together; the looks they gave each other, how Levi behaved around her, how Forest would give him small quick touches on the arm or hand and how she touched his hair all the time. In Levi's point of view he all but admits to the reader that he loves Forest. He calls her his heart and his light. But they don't even kiss in the book! Not a real kiss anyway. It a small swipe or quick peck. And Forests says she's gonna fix the reason why she can't touch him but the author doesn't go on with the book and there is no real kiss. I felt gypped and was like "Really?" when the book ended. So unsatisfying. 


Oh and there were a lot of typos and grammar mistakes. I personally don't care about them but I did notice them. That might be because I had an ARC of the book though.

Rating:
B+  


No comments:

Post a Comment