Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Clockwork Angel~ Quick Review

Title: Clockwork Angel
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series:  The Infernal Devices, Book 1
Number of Pages: 476
Date Read: 6/8/14
Genre: Steampunk, Historical Fiction, Paranormal, Fantasy



Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)

In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhuntersincluding Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them....



My Review: 

I liked this book more than I was expecting to. I wasn't too thrilled to read this because of the whole plagiarism thing with the author and it turned me off to her and her books. I only read this because a good friend recommended it to me otherwise I never would of picked it up. I decided "what the hell?" and read it anyway. To me it was ok. Not great but not bad. Definitely not making my favorites list. 

The characters were alright. I liked Tessa well enough for an mc. She was sweet, loyal, friendly and caring. I liked how loyal she was to her brother and all that she went through to save him. Will was ehh for me. He was the typical good looking bad boy who the main character falls for and who keeps his distance from her for some reason or another. I liked how he fought and his one liners made me laugh. I really liked Jem. He was such a sweet guy. I liked how he is able to get through to Will and how patient he is with him. He is so nice to Tessa and everyone in general. His personal history is terrible and I feel so bad for him. He is my favorite out of the two main guy characters. That being said, I don't really care who Tessa ends up with which is strange for me. Usually when I see a love triangle brewing I pick one of the guys that I want the heroine to be with and I don't waver. This doesn't mean that I don't like the other guy, it just means I don't want them with the MC. Strangely that didn't happen for me in the book. I guess because I don't really like Will all that much and there was basically no romantic feeling between Tessa and Jem yet. So whatever. I don't have a side in this love triangle. Jessamine is another characters that was ok. She is the typical character who is thrown into a story who is one thing but dreams of being another. She is a shadowhunter but she hates it and wants to be a proper lady with a husband and a family instead. She reminds me a lot of Monique in 
Etiquette & Espionage except I actually like Jessamine some what and hated Monique. I also liked Magnus Bane and his quips were funny too. I wish there was more of him in this book, because I felt like I didn't get to learn a lot about him except that he was a warlock. 

My favorite characters were Henry and Charlotte. Henry was hilarious and I absolutely loved him. He is the kind of guy I'd be friends with in real life. I like how mechanical he is and how scientific. If Jem is nice, then Henry is even nicer. Everything he says is kind and he doesn't make anyone feel bad for anything. I also loved Charlotte and I loved how she ran the shadowhunter's institute at the age of 23. She is married to Henry, is a shadowhunter herself so she fights in dangerous battles with all kinds of weapons and is in charge of making huge decisions at an age where I couldn't fathom doing anything like that. AND she did all this in the victorian age where women were supposed to be ladies and be ruled by their husbands. Which is also another thing I like about Henry. He and Charlotte are both the heads of the institute but he doesn't mind that Charlotte is the one who runs it and is the one really in charge. He doesn't demand that she wait on him hand and foot or that all the important decisions be made by him. Henry spends his time in his lab and is content with Charlotte being the boss of the institute. Gotta love a guy like that. 


The plot was ehh. Most of it was the explaining of what shadowhunters were and their history. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of shadowhunters, their world and sighted mundanes and I wouldn't have minded the history so much if there were more action scenes. For me however the book went on too long. There was a lot of recon and talking between the action scenes which bored me at times. Also there were so many descriptions of things that sometimes the words swam together and I wanted to skip those parts. 


There were some action scenes that were kick ass though, especially the one at a vampire's party. I did enjoy reading about Tessa's powers and her ability to shape change and become the person she changed into. There was a twist at the end that I didn't see coming that surprised me. All in all not a bad read. I may continue with the series to see what else happens. 

Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment