Thursday, May 22, 2014

Til The World Ends: Dawn of Eden









Title:Dawn of Eden
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden, Prequel, Book 0.5
Number of Pages: 121
Date Read: 5/21/14
Genre: Vampire, Dystopian,  (Post) Apocalyptic



Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)


Before The Immortal Rules, there was Red Lung a relentless virus determined to take out all in its path.

For Kylie, the miracle of her survival is also her burden-as a doctor at one of the clinics for the infected she is forced to witness endless suffering. What's worse strange things are happening to the remains of the dead the and by the time she befriends Ben Archer she's beginning to wonder if a global pandemic is the least of her problems....

My Review:
I only read one story in this book which was Julie Kagawa's Dawn of Eden short because that story was the reason I took out this book from the library. Kagawa's Blood of Eden Series is one of my favorite series and she is one of my favorite authors so I had to read this short by her. I give it 5 stars. 

This book is a prequel to the Blood of Eden series and it is not a y.a. short story. Its more of a N.A. to adult short. This short goes into the beginning of the red lung virus and the beginning of the rabid plague that is central in the Blood of Eden series. This book is how it all began. 


I liked the main character, Kylie, who was a doctor who ran one of the last open clinics that tried to treat the Red Lung virus. In her clinic she meets Ben Archer, who brings in a scientist friend of his to her clinic for treatment from an attack. From there the world goes to hell with the rabids unleashed on whatever is left of society. Kylie is a determined young woman who doesn't give up on the sick people in her clinic. She wanted to become a doctor to help people and she believes in giving people hope even when there is none. She works tirelessly to take care of her patients. Kylie is also brave and protective of the people she cares for. 


There is a romance in the story which I could of done without but it didn't take away from anything. Personally I'm just tired of there always having to be a romance. Can't people face the end of the world as friends anymore? The romance didn't bother me but I was like "oh ok whatever" about it. 


There is classic Kagawa gore in the book. Lots of blood, cursing and body parts flying which I loved. And best of all? KANIN was in it!!!!!!!!!!!!! He wasn't a main character and wasn't in it a lot but her was there. For anyone who doesn't know, Kanin is my favorite character in the Blood of Eden Series. Kanin didn't seems like the same character he was in the Blood of Eden series. He is still dark, powerful, pensive, wise and silent but he didn't seem like the human loving Kanin we see in the Blood of Eden series. I guess because this story takes place 60 years before the Blood of Eden series, he hasn't changed into the Kanin I really love in those books. He seems harder and more willing to kill people, as seen from the last page in the story. So Mrs. Kagawa, if you ever see any of my reviews about this series, I have a request that you PLEASE consider writing a novella or something about Kanin's life story. I think that'd be an awesome book and I'm sure fans of this series would love to read it. 


All in all a great prequel. 


Rating:
A+  


No comments:

Post a Comment