Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Forever Song

Title: The Forever Song
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden, Book 3
Number of Pages: 393
Date Read: 5/11/14
Genre: Dystopian, Vampire, Paranormal



Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)

Vengeance will be hers.

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster? With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer.

Monster.

Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions - her creator Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost - the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie. 


In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, her triumph will be short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.

THE FINAL HUNT IS ON.


My Review:

Where to start with this book. I can't say too much without giving anything away for this book but there may be some spoilers from the second book, The Eternity Cure. While I liked the book a lot, I didn't love it like the other ones. 

In this book our heroes, Allie, Kanin and Jackal are racing to meet Sarren at/before he gets to Eden to stop him before he unleashes his virus that will wipe out the entire world, vampires, rabids and humans alike. Along the way they have a few surprises and bumps in the road.

I'm not sure how I feel about Allie in this book. While I liked her a lot in the first book, now for some reason she started to annoy me. Its not like I don't like her, I still do but she's like that old friend you have that you just want to slap in the face from time to time because they are being annoying and you don't want to hear their shit anymore. She starts out the book is a very dark place, because of Zeke's death and she has given in to the monster in her, not caring about anything except killing Sarren. She even beings to refer to humans as "bloodbags" like Jackal which annoyed me. I mean, yes Zeke died and he was the love of her life but instead of fighting on and remembering that he would of wanted her to hold on to her humanity, she gives up. That's not like the Allie I know from the other books. Eventually she does snap out of it and becomes her old self again. 


Zeke has a lot to deal with in this book but he annoyed me as well. Yes he is alive and a vampire as we all saw coming from the last line in 
The Eternity Cure. He has Sarren for a sire, which is massively f***ed up. When we see him again, he was re-programed by Sarren to forget his human life and he is like a clone of Sarren. He and Allie have epic fight scenes. But eventually of course, Allie is the one to snap him out of whatever Sarren did to him and for the majority of the book he is worried that he will be the monster that Sarren created. He's worried that he will slaughter any human he sees and he's ashamed that he loved the killings he did with Sarren. Of course Allie is all like "I won't let you become a monster, you're going to be ok and yadda yadda yadda". Way to much teen angst for me. I know Zeke didn't want to become a vampire but he is one and he has to deal with it. Worrying and complaining is not going to help. I think Jackal said it best:

"oh for fuck's sake!"
"Puppy, I am getting so tired of listening to you whine about this," he snarled at Zeke. "This isn't rocket science. If you don't want to be a monster, don't be a bloody monster! Be an uptight stick in the mud like Kanin. Be a self-righteous bleeding heart like Allison. Or you can stop agonizing about it and be a fucken monster, it's actually a lot of fun." He narrowed his eyes at Zeke and I stared at him, stunned. "But for the love of piss, make some sort of decision. If you don't want to eat babies and nail bloodbags to walls, that's your choice. What Sarren did or made you do in the past has nothing to do with it now. You're a vampire. Do whatever the hell you want."


I love Kanin but he was the same as he always was, at least until the end. He was very quiet, deadly, offering his opinion and advice at times and was the one leading Allie, Jackal and eventually Zeke to Eden. I love how Kanin was like the father in their little group with Allie and Jackal fighting all the time like kids until Kanin had enough and told them to stop. Funny. You're left at the end of the book, still not really knowing much more about him that what was said in the other books. For some reason, I am still hung up on knowing his real name, which is not said at the end of the book. I hope Kagawa does a short or a novella about his life. I would love to read it. I have to say that he is my favorite character in the book. 


I love Jackal as well. I must say I didn't like him at all in the first book but he has grown on me. He is hilarious and I love his quips and his sarcasm. He is still a huge ass but I love him. He has changed a lot since the first book. While he still loves being a vampire and doesn't care about killing people, he went from being a person who cares only about himself to someone who, while I wouldn't say cares meaning showing his emotions, is willing to do the right thing to save and protect others. You could definitely not say that about him when we first met him in 
The Immortal Rules but you can say that about him now. 

I have to say that while I hate Sarren, I wished there was more of him in this book. There is always a mention of him and that he is a psycho and all but he himself is not in the book until the last few chapters and even then its not a lot. He is someone I love to hate and I wanted to see more of his twisted self, not just the atrocities he committed. This is one aspect in the book where I felt cheated. He is like some ominous being, always being talked about with dread and fear but he's no where to be found. Also I found myself understanding where Sarren was coming from in regards to releasing his virus. He wants to completely wipe the world clean so that new life and a new world can grow and the tainted, corrupted world he lives in will be destroyed. I can see where he's getting at and understand it but I don't agree with actually doing it and he is just crazy. 


The romance was a bit angsty for me with the repeated "I won't let you be a monster" theme coming up way too much between Allie and Zeke. Yes I get that you two will save and help each other but I don't need to be reminded about it every other sentence. Also the theme of "What kind of monster will I be" was shoved down my throat way to much in this book that I found myself not caring about Allie or Zeke's answer to it. I was so over the epiphanies the characters had, where you as the reader already know that they were coming to that conclusion. I just found myself rolling my eyes and saying "duh".

I absolutely loved all the gore and the details about the fights and the horrific scenes that Sarren left our heroes. Kagawa has a gift for detail and making me cringe throughout the book. I could picture every action sequence in my mind like I was watching a gory movie. It was great. 


I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. It wrapped up to nicely for me. All the loose ends were tied up and the ending left you knowing what Zeke and Allie were going to do for the rest of their lives which is eternity. The ending was taken a step further than our heroes just stopping Sarren's virus. Everything just seemed way to easily solved and everything was peachy keen. Ugh.

Just throwing it out there that I'd totally support books/novellas about Kanin, Jackal and Sarren's life prior to everything in this series. I'd also totally support a spin off series about Jackal's adventures after the end of this book. Just something to think about Mrs. Kagawa if you ever read my review. :D

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment