Sunday, April 20, 2014

Raptor Red

 Title: Raptor Red
Author: Robert T. Bakker
Standalone
Number of Pages: 256
Date Read: 4/12/14
Genre: Science Fiction, Animal Adventure, Historical Fiction: Prehistoric, Fantasy



Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)

A pair of fierce but beautiful eyes look out from the undergrowth of conifers. She is an intelligent killer...So begins one of the most extraordinary novels you will ever read. The time is 120 million years ago, the place is the plains of prehistoric Utah, and the eyes belong to an unforgettable heroine. Her name is Raptor Red, and she is a female Raptor dinosaur.

Painting a rich and colorful picture of a lush prehistoric world, leading paleontologist Robert T. Bakker tells his story from within Raptor Red's extraordinary mind, dramatizing his revolutionary theories in this exciting tale. From a tragic loss to the fierce struggle for survival to a daring migration to the Pacific Ocean to escape a deadly new predator, "Raptor Red" combines fact an fiction to capture for the first time the thoughts, emotions, and behaviors of the most magnificent, enigmatic creatures ever to walk the face of the earth.

My Review:

This book is unique because its in the pov of Raptor Red who is a female Utah Raptor dinosaur. As a dinosaur freak as soon as I read the synopsis I ran out to get the book and read it. A book about dinosaurs in the pov of a dinosaur? I'm so there. Raptors are my favorite dinosaur with Velociraptor being my all time favorite dinosaur, so of course I had to read the book whose main character is a raptor dinosaur. 

I liked how this book was written. It focused on Raptor Red for the most part but there were a few chapters in the povs of other dinosaurs and reptiles as well, which I liked. I also liked how the author, who is in fact a paleontologist, wrote about Raptor Red's thoughts and actions. It wasn't like "Raptor Red thought Blah blah blah". The author made sure that the reader knew that the dinosaur didn't think like humans did and he wrote out all the different factors that caused Raptor Red to have a "thought". It was more like "If Raptor Red could think she would of said......" and he backed it up with why the animal would think that based on its observations of its surroundings. The book was not very technical and it was understandable and enjoyable. This was key for me and was a worry I had going into the book because when I read Jurassic Park, it was so scientific and technical that I didn't really know or care about what was going on. I was just waiting for the parts with the dinosaurs in it. I'm glad to say that this book has a lot of action and has a lot of dinosaurs. 


I liked Rator Red who was a spunky, unusual, playful, very intelligent and curious dinosaur. She goes through a lot in the book and still comes out on top. She finds her family and even gets a "boyfriend". Life was hard even for a predator in the cretaceous period and Raptor Red was one of the lucky dinos to triumph in life. 

Rating:
B+  

No comments:

Post a Comment