Thursday, May 2, 2013

Hush Hush


Title: Hush Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Series: Hush Hush, Book 1
Number of Pages: 391
Date Read: 5/2/13
Genre: Angel, PNR, Fantasy
Rating: B

Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com)


A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE


Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.



My Review:

I liked this book. It was good but not great. The story didn't really pull me in as much as I wanted it too. I liked reading about angels and author's different mythologies about angels and fallen angels. While this book did have some mythology on angels it wasn't nearly enough for me to keep me riveted to the book. I do like the way the angels in the book apparently have different jobs and ranking like guardian angels, avenging angels and angels of death. There was no where near enough information for my tastes on the nephilim, except that their bodies can be controlled by fallen angels for 2 weeks every year. I liked the story well enough but it was missing something for me.

I don't really know how I feel about Nora. I mean I like how she is studious and into her school work because that's not really seen a lot in books. Usually the good girl meets the bad boy and everything is not important any more. At least in this book Nora held on to things other than Patch but we'll see how that goes in the rest of the books. Nora did annoy me too. Sometimes the way she talked was so not believable. She used proper sentences and big words and it just seemed forced and fake to me. The way she described herself put me off on her right away. She said "I'm a smoky eyed brunette with volumes of curly hair that...." I mean who even thinks of themselves like that? That was too much for me. Someone's too full of herself. And add to the fact that she's not really a brunette but an auburn hair color. I love auburn hair and I found it ridiculous how she corrected and insisted to patch that it was brown. I also found Nora to be hilarious at times which softened me to her. I loved when she said to Vee (When they were at Victoria Secret and Vee was trying to find a bra) "They're called sports bras and they have a nasty side effect called the uniboob". That had me rolling on the floor. One thing I didn't like about Nora was her indecision about Patch. She had so many doubts about him, she kept saying something was off and wrong about him, that she was afraid of him, that he's annoying and irritating but the next thing you know she's with him all the time and they're kissing and whatnot. Its like "Oh your scary and your wrong for me but come here and lets me stick my tongue down your throat". I mean come on. Just decide, do you want him or not and if you do they shut up about how wrong, scary and dangerous he is. Sheesh 

At first I really didn't like Patch. And what's with the name Patch? When I read his name throughout the book I kept thinking of the dog Patch from 101 Dalmatians. Can we please have some regular names here? And what the hell kinda name is Vee and Kjirsten? Really? Anywhoo back to Patch. I totally didn't expect him to be a bad boy and an ass at that. Don't get me wrong, I love bad boys but I hate guys who are cocky and that was Patch. He was so into himself, kept referring to sex and thinking he's God's gift to women. Please. And he was so mean to Chauncey in the beginning of the book. If he was in my class and did what he did to Nora to me, I'd punch him in the face. I won't deny that he's hot or anything, but his cockiness turned me off to him. However, as the story went on, I got to like him more and more as he showed his caring and gentler side when he was with Nora. I liked how protective her was towards her and the infrequent sweet moments he had with her. I loved Patch's sarcasm and his humor. I was on the floor laughing during that whole scene in biology class where Patch was explaining to the teacher about what he looks for in a mate and how he knows if his target is sharing his feelings. When he used Nora as his example and was describing how she was feeling in front of the whole class it was epic. I could not stop laughing. So by the end of the book I gotta say I do like Patch. And his name grew on me too. I just gotta say though that his fall from Heaven was for the stupidest reasons. But hey, if he didn't fall, he wouldn't have met Nora and we wouldn't have a 4 book series about them. lol.

My thoughts on some of the other characters: Elliot was an ass. I knew something was up with him from the beginning. He was creepy. Vee, I liked. She was funny, over the top dramatic and I loved the way she put Nora in sticky situations. I liked how she is a loyal friend to Nora and watches out for her. Even though we only met him for a short while, I liked Rixon. I hope we see more of him in the later books.

The romance was the same as usual. Girl meets hot guy and falls instantly in love but tries to deny it to herself for as long as she can, while the same exact thing is happening to the guy but we don't hear about it. I don't get these romances. Yeah sure the world is filled with hot guys. But I;m not gonna fall in love with every hot guy I see. Especially if they annoy me as much as Patch annoyed Nora. Once thing I liked about this book though was that the word love was not thrown around willy nilly. Both Patch and Nora never said "I love you" to each other or confessed their love for each other to other people in this book. Sure Chauncey said Patch loved Nora but no one who matters said it. 

So the big question since these books came out has been Hush Hush or Fallen. Whenever I hear one of these books mention, I also hear "Well which one did you like better Hush Hush or Fallen?" or "you should read ______. Its better". Here my vote: for me Fallen is wayyy better. To me it has more mythology, more action and an epic love that spanned centuries. For me its just better. However I encourage everyone to read both books and decide for themselves which is better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment