Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Vespertine

Title: The Vespertine
Author: Saundra Mitchell
Series: The Vespertine, Book 1
Number of Pages: 293
Date Read: June 2012
Genre: Paranormal, PNR, Historical Fiction
Rating: A+

Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com):

It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him. When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause. 

My Review:

*May Contain Spoilers*

I really really liked this book. When I first read the book, I was expecting not to like it but I did. I really liked all of the characters which is something new for me because in almost every book there is a character I don't like or hate. 

I loved the character of Amelia and I loved the friendship she had with Zora. I loved Amelia's romantic interest, Nathaniel, who was sexy by the way.. lol. I also liked Thomas because of the way he was with Zora and how much of a gentle man he was. 

The paranormal aspect of the book was good too- Amelia's visions and Nathaniel's teleport ability. I just wished that more information was given about these powers and where they came from. The romance between these two was fun to read as the characters started out flirting and then fell in love. I love the part when Nathaniel says "Jump with me" and that Amelia does which shows how much they love and trust each other. I'm so glad that they found each other in the end and are together. I would have been truly pissed if they didn't end up together


I was unhappy with Thomas' death. That part really sucked because Zora and Thomas were absolutely perfect together. I mean I know that something has to go wrong in a paranormal book but I hate it when authors kill off the good characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment